Happy Halloween! - Help Keep This Night Full Of Treats By Avoiding A Few Nasty Tricks
We hope you and your family have a great time this Halloween. It is a fun holiday for adults, children and pets alike. Here are a few fun things you can do for your furry loved ones to help them have some fun, and keep them safe!
- Have your canine companion come with you to bob for apples, just use an apple core to remove all the seeds first.
- Give puppy or kitty a nice (small) treat of cooked pumpkin. Pumpkin is healthy for cats and dogs in small quantities, just check the label to make sure it is unseasoned and unsweetened.
- Have a ghostly photo shoot! Dressing up is a lot of fun and many dogs (and some cats) don't mind getting into costume with with kids. Perfect opportunity to get a fun family photo.
- Hit the hay! Around this time of year a lot of local farms offer hay rides, a few of which are dog friendly. Call ahead and find out if your canine companion would be welcomed.
A Few Tricks To Look Out For:
- Candy is bad for both cats and dogs. Make sure any candy bowels for trick-o-treaters is kept out of reach on a shelf, or closed in a cabinet to prevent your cat or dog from getting to it. (Sometimes cats will go after candy due to the crinkly cellophane wrapper)
- Chocolate is NOT on the safe to eat list, neither are the spices in cider or pumpkin pie. - These are not safe snacks for your pets, but a few carrot sticks or apple slices are.
- A LED collar is a good investment if your taking the family dog trick-or-treating with the kids, it helps them to remain visible in the dark. Reminder that dogs should be walked on the sidewalk or "walked on the inside" with you in between them and the street. A driver might notice a person walking on the side of the road, but fido could be below their field of vision.
- A Frightening Tale - The day after Halloween shelters get a lot of calls for missing pets. Please keep cats inside where they are safe, and dogs either inside or on a leash. You never know when a strobe light, loud sound effect or kids running in costumes my spook your furry loved one into running off.